Applications are closed until January 2018
The KEYS Crew are the near-peer mentors for the new class of KEYS interns. The Crew is comprised of program alumni and student staff. We are looking for enthusiastic and amicable leaders who want to inspire future interns, work on a team, and develop as mentors.
KEYS Crew Mentors meet with interns weekly to ensure they are progressing in their research, work with interns on their assignments, and help them prepare for the Research Showcase. Mentors also assist in execution of KEYS events including preparation of materials, leading student activities, room set-up and breakdown, planning social events, and much more. Mentors are expected to attend ALL program events and be available to help with set-up and breakdown.
Hired KEYS Crew Mentors are required to perform a fingerprint background check and complete sexual harassment training through the University.
KEYS Crew Information
Mentors are expected to work:
- A customized schedule April through May (hours suited to your availability)
- 40 hours during Training Week (June 4–8, 2018)
- 12 -20 hours per week during weeks 2-6 (June 11 –July 13, 2018)
- 40 hours during week 7 (July 10-20, 2018)
- Required attendance at the staff debrief on Monday, July 23, 2018
KEYS Crew Mentors are paid a stipend of $1,500.00. The stipend is dispersed in two payments: half at the beginning of the program and the remainder after completion of the program.
- Preference is given to KEYS alumni
- At least 18 years old by the start of the internship OR enrolled full-time in college
- Maturity and ability to assume responsibility and authority in appropriate situations
- Strong communication skills
- Provide your own transportation for the program
If you are interested in applying to be a KEYS Crew Mentor you will need to complete the online application form. In the form, we will ask for the following:
- Responses to the following prompts (100-word response per prompt)
- Describe your experience as a KEYS intern.
- Why do you want to be a KEYS Crew Mentor?
- What experience do you have as a mentor?
- What is a weakness you would like to improve during KEYS?
- What is a pertinent skill that will make you a great mentor?
- Contact information for two professional recommendations
If you are interested in being a Resident Assistant for the KEYS program you will have the option to apply for that position in the KEYS Crew application and also expected to be a KEYS Crew Mentor.